Islington North Labour Party is pleased to announce that we will be holding a workshop on housing open to all members. It is the first in a new series of workshops aimed at educating and engaging our members on key issues facing our society and the labour movement today. The format will be informal, open and participatory and each member will have the opportunity to engage with questions including:
- What are the key issues we face regarding housing in London today?
- What is our vision as socialists and Labour activists for housing?
- How do we get there?
With local elections next year and a potential general election at any time, now is the time to discuss the issues we need to tackle and the ideas necessary to transform our society.
The workshop will include a brief overview by activists involved in housing campaigns to give some perspective and ideas for discussion:
- Glyn Robbins is a spokesperson for ‘Axe the Housing Act’ and ‘Defend Council Housing’ and the author of There’s No Place: The American Housing Crisis and what it means for the UK.
- Rosi Leonard as an activist with Dublin Central Housing Action, was part of a collective that occupied a vacant public building in Dublin last winter to house the homeless.
- Gordon Peters is an activist from the Stop Haringey Development Vehicle campaign.